"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Monday, January 15, 2018

Stretching Art 19 - Ladybugs Started

And I've finally been able to start this quilt, a good thing since I need it completed by mid-Feb.

First step was to trace my rough draft pattern onto tissue paper sheets and then stitch the leaf outlines into the quilt.    Then the tissue paper was removed.


 Once the paper was done, the next step was to prep and then stitch the first sets of leaves onto the quilt.  To make these leaves, I fused a layer of batik to batting, then cut out the succulent leaves.  Once the leaves were cut out I satin-stitched around the edges using Stitch-n-Tear to stabilize them as I stitched.

I'm using Sulky 30-wt cotton variegated thread (color 733 4120) for the satin-stitching.   And it's looking like I will have to get a second spool of thread because I've got a lot of leaves yet to make for this. 

Once the leaves were made, I then used a straight stitch to applique them to the quilt.   I still need to do a little stitching in the leaves because the batik was contrary and bubbled on most of the leaves.  But I figure that will just give added texture to the quilt.


Closer picture of the leaves. 

I am going to have to go back and do some additional stitching on the leaves that I quilted into the background of the quilt because the stitching lines are not showing up well.  Am debating how I want to do that.   Am leaning to the stretch straight stitch, but might decide to do a very narrow satin-stitch instead.

The remaining succulent leaves remaining to be added will be totally 3D and will be used to add depth to the quilt.

Gratitudes:
1. Finding the additional fabrics over the weekend that I needed for this.

2. For the unexpected half day holiday at work today.

2 comments:

Susan said...

That stitching on the edges of the leaves gives them an interesting texture against the background. Looking forward to seeing the next step! Yay, extra time to sew!

Farm Quilter said...

Interesting way you are doing the leaves. What about doing some quilting in them with a thread that doesn't match so well?? Maybe even a metallic? I can't wait to see this one finished!